In order to celebrate the centenary of the Revolution, Paris organised the biggest exhibition ever held. The two pivotal points were occupied by the Galerie des Machines at one end and the Eiffel Tower at the other, in alignment with the bridge connecting to the Trocadéro.
The tower was constructed in just 25 months. After an initially lukewarm reaction from the general public it very soon became an iconic symbol of the city, despite the fact that it was supposed to disappear after 20 years (like all works created for the Exhibition). It instead successfully won the right to remain, becoming first a meteorological station and then a radio station: 300.65 m high and organised on three levels, it provides mind-blowing panoramic views from its summit.
To reach the Eiffel Tower:
- Metro (Paris underground): line 6 Bir-Hakeim, line 8 Ecole Militaire
- RER (suburban trains): line C-Champ de Mars Station-Eiffel Towertorre eiffel
- Bus: numbers 22, 30, 32, 42, 63, 69, 72, 80, 82, 87
- lift 9.30-23.45 with last ascent at 23.00 and 22.30 for the top floor;
- stairs from 9.30-18.30, last access at 18.00.
- lift 9.00-0.45, with last ascent at 0.00 and 23.00 for the top floor;
- stairs from 9.00-0.30, last access at 0.00
- lift 9.30-23.45, with last ascent at 23.00 and 22.30 for the top floor;
- stairs from 9.30-18.30, last access at 18.00<7li>
On the 2nd floor is the Jules Verne restaurant, run by a chef who is famous throughout France, Alain Reix. For reservations tel. 33 (0)1 45 55 61 44, fax: 33 (0)1 47 05 29 41.
Located between Avenue George V and Montaigne, a 2-minute walk from the Champs-Elysées, Hotel Marignan is a design hotel in Paris’s 8th district. I [...]
Located in central Paris, this hotel is 750 metres from Montparnasse Train Station. With a 24-hour reception, it features a flowery patio and rooms wi [...]
Located in several locations in the heart of Paris' lively Marais district, these modern apartments are just a 7-minute walk from the Georges Pompidou [...]
Clarisse is located in Paris, 700 metres from Parc des Expositions and 200 metres from Square Georges Brassens. This classic hotel offers rooms with s [...]
Just a 15-minute walk from the Eiffel Tower and opposite Sèvres-Lecourbe Metro Station is Sublim hotel. It offers stylish rooms and a relaxation area [...]
This 3-star hotel is ideally situated in the Gobelins area, a lively residential neighbourhood of Paris. It boasts cosy and comfortable rooms decorate [...]
The Bridgestreet apartments are located within 100 metres of the Champs-Elysées in central Paris. It offers air-conditioned apartments with a fully e [...]